Pages

Monday 13 December 2021

Wrist pain and some simple solutions I did

For the past couple of years, I have been involved in multiple projects, working parallel at a time. Most of the days I will be sitting in front of my laptop, doing my works. Literally, I was not doing enough workouts for the body. And then the COVID pandemic worsened the situation. My body started giving symptoms and I was continuing the work, neglecting them..until one day I couldn't bear the pain, numbness in my wrist. Along with the wrist pain, I had neck pain which seldom occurs. The neck pain then leads to a pulsating headache, after that sleeping in a dark and quiet room is the only remedy.

carpal tunnel syndrome  

A quick google showed me that these kinds of wrist pain are very common in people who sit and work most of the time in front of a computer. From my experience, correcting the way we use mouse and keyboard, and also some stretching exercises will help much in pain relief. 

vertical mouse

The first thing I changed is the mouse. I moved to a vertical mouse. And it does a major change. 
The difference is that in a normal mouse we keep our palm horizontal, and here in a vertical mouse, our wrist will be slightly tilted vertically, somewhat similar to a handshaking position. I bought a Live Tech Glide Wireless Vertical Mouse from Amazon.

Ergonomic keyboard

The next thing I did was to move from the laptop keyboard to a more ergonomic keyboard. Some good keyboards with interesting layouts I found online, like Kinesis advantage 2. It cost around INR 50K is a little bit expensive, I feel. 


Wireless keyboard with touchpad

I also bought a wireless keyboard (a small one) with a touchpad, so that I can lean on my couch or chair and use the keyboard and touchpad. 

 

Bigger monitor

After some internet search, I found Dell P2422HE a promising one.


 

 Ergonomic chair

I didn't shop it online. I went to a local store and bought a Nilkamal ergonomic chair.